Monday, November 11, 2013

Tidings of Christmas Cheer... 2 months early.

On October 25th, 2013, I like most of America witnessed something unexpected whilst viewing an evening of television with my wife.  Suddenly in the midst of the tedium that is commercial breaks on national, syndicated television, I heard a familiar yet unanticipated, tune.  The tune took me directly back to sitting in the Fehring home on the hill and all of the times over the years that I have sung it.  My mind flooded with wonderful memories, smells of spices and baking intellectually plunged into my nasal passages, and for a brief moment, everything sparkled as it does when decorated for the winter holidays.  I was lost in an avalanche of good memories.  This is nothing new for me, as I am one of the biggest suckers for the holidays that has ever lived; almost as if the patron saints of Holiday Cheer and Christmastime take residence in my vocal folds and plunge their hands into my brain stem.  I love everything about it, the food, the gift giving, the time with loved ones, and most of all the music! My mind seems to be programmed with a predisposition for the era that most of my favorite carols and songs were written.  In fact, it is not unusual for me to start listening to Holiday Music off and on from September onward, just to temper my yearning for the leaves to fall so the snow can follow...I know, I'm not normal. This however was different, this was a commercial.  This was an attempt to create a panic for those of us living in a Post Post Modern world and who choose to celebrate the holidays. This was a commercial that literally said, "Don't let the holidays sneak up on you," like some sort of looming terror awaits you procrastinators and skeptics.  I became slightly irritated. 

"Why the hell is this happening so early," I asked?  After a bit of research, it turns out Corporate America is worried that because Thanksgiving falls late this year, they will some how lose out on six (can you believe it, SIX) days of shopping.  As a dejected, involuntary soldier on the front lines of the retail battlefield for almost a decade, I can say that logic isn't necessarily a strong point in the leadership positions of most mega-stores and Fortune-500 companies.  Ironic isn't it? You would think that for something to be that successful, it would be a requirement.  I'm here to testify that the opposite is usually true, but I digress.  Consequently, we have been bombarded with advertising two months early, and with each passing day, the over-saturation is getting worse.  For those you not ecstatic about the holidays, burn out will strike early and often, your moods will weaken and sarcasm and disdain will rein terror on glad tidings and yuletide joy.  For those of us who are still touched by Jack frost and the Christmas Spirit, we are also vulnerable to exulted exhaustion and will have to shut in our spirits and the glow that this time of year gives us for fear of expulsion from society. To summarize, the consumerism wrought of American "progress" is ruining my life.

I am not speaking merely of the forced suppression of happiness, I'm speaking of the literal ruining of my time on this earth.  Not only are we being force fed advertising, I was informed last week that instead of opening at midnight on Black Friday like the last two years, a schedule that required me to head into work at 10:00pm on Thanksgiving (9:00 living in New York), my company is now opening at 6:00pm ON THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!! I was absolutely livid!!!  If required to work, I would have to leave here at 3:30pm.  That is when my family usual sits down to the meal!  Bad enough that this God-forsaken job rips away my wife's and my ability to fly home for the holidays, now the bastards are attempting to steal my ability to enjoy any holiday in any capacity!  This sadly wasn't even my biggest disappointment for the week.  In a tirade of fury I spoke to every single one of my friends at work about how aggravated and frustrated I was about the situation and not a single one shared my feelings.  Most in fact, were grateful for the opportunity to make time and a half for more than two hours on a national holiday and to not have to spend the day with their families.  I can't blame them, money is tight everywhere and yet, here the circle of greed is completed and the flaws in our country brought directly to the surface.

Maybe that is the reason the holidays are so divided perceptively: the way I was raised, I see the goodness, the charity, all the great parts of humanity this time of year.  The underbelly of humanity though is ever present in adult life and the holidays can also bring out the worst in people.  The stress alone of the rituals every year can cause people to scream at, trip, and shove to get the "perfect" gift. Like most things in life, perspective proves the turning point.  There is, one thing I think we can agree upon however, and that is about consumerism.  The reason companies are agreeing to put their employees through hell, is because that is what they perceive as the general want of this country.  If that is truly the case, then I will grin and bear it and suffer in silence.  However, if you agree with me even in the slightest, that the manipulation of the public to these extremes is unfounded and ridiculous: do me a favor.  See what happens if you stay in for Black Friday.  I know that of the three of you that read this, one also has to schlepp themselves into consumerism as well, but just try it! The sales will most likely be similar until the big day anyway.  Give your families another chance, and while you're at it, make a conscious effort to see the goodness in people.

*Cameron steps off his soap box and throws it stage left.*

I will keep updating about the holidays because it is my favorite time of year and I will keep singing and enjoying the greatest city in the world. Hats off to all of you dear friends, enjoy existence!




2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear your holiday memories are memorable and wonderful. We, as a family, made Christmas special, but did not spend zillions of dollars on gifts or buy the latest fad. Christmas was great because of the time with family, definitely the music, sledding, ice skating on the canal (both were free of charge!) amazing food, and the lights. OK, one of favorite memories is just driving around to look at the lights with Christmas music playing and sipping hot chocolate. I prefer drinking coffee with my parents and family to any Black Friday shopping, so that is what I will be doing. The only drawback is that you will not be sitting at the table with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to add that I think I spend half of my time dealing with my stuff, organizing, rearranging, cleaning, straightening. The holidays seem to be about adding more stuff. The opportunity to spend a couple of weeks in an apartment with just necessities was so freeing. Just saying-

    ReplyDelete