Thursday, March 17, 2016

Day 3:

G
Today is the day that everyone celebrates one of my many heritages by getting wasted and behaving poorly.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

I actually wish that people would celebrate days from every culture and clan across the world with such gusto! Perhaps if we did, even if it involved some poor behavior, we could come at conflict with a bit more understanding and love!

Why do we celebrate anyway? I believe it comes from our oh so human need for connection.  I maintain that people are their most true selves when they celebrate and one can learn more from a person in five minutes than working with them for two months!  My catering job has given me the opportunity to study celebrations that I couldn't even imagine and I get to attend like a fly on the wall.  It's the very best way!  I've also seen the darker sides of celebrations, but that is a whole other blog.

Something I've done my best to overcome in my twenties is how much celebration means to me and how heartbroken I can feel if things go wrong.  I like most, will be celebrating this momentous birthday with a party.  An embarrassing confession: I have hosted lots of parties throughout my life where no one came.  I know that last sentence reads like a teen angst plot cliche, but alas its true.

It has taken me years to finally realize that it is not a reflection of me, that there is no malicious intent, and that life gets in the way sometimes.  Sometimes the irony of this situation escapes me, especially since I have never surrounded myself with those kinds of people (in my personal life anyway...) However, I'm still afraid.  Sometimes fear can be a good thing.  On the bright side, it constantly reminds me of how much my friends and loved ones mean to me! I also am eternally grateful for my awesome wife ( I know, I know. She really is amazing! Those of you who know her know!)

The point is that life is unpredictable and silly and wonderful and it can be even more so, when you celebrate it with the people you love!

Here's to that! 

1 comment:

  1. I am overwhelmed at how your perspective has changed, and I am so moved by it. The celebration in Kinnear on Easter Sunday may not have a huge crowd because of the date and timing, but it will be a celebration of you, and that will be amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete