Saturday, March 12, 2016

Day 8:

Does one who hasn't accomplished their goals deserve to relax? Does a person who has aspirations bigger than there current situation deserve some hours to spend time with people they love? I have read lots of "articles" on social media that claim truly successful people never take time off, never take vacations, never take a moment for themselves... Is this true? Is it possible that one can't be successful if they don't devote every waking second to their day?

For most of my early adulthood, I felt guilty. I have always pushed myself hard: sometimes to the breaking point. I'm from an area where self reliance and work ethic are prized traits. These traits make or break a new person to the area and with the first impression, the locals know. They can just tell. It's like a sixth sense for hardworking folks. I must admit, this has become another pet peeve but that's not what this blog is about. My point is I have spent far too much time in the past decade comparing myself to my heroes and feeling like a failure. Feeling like my "success" is never going to be a great as my heroes because the timelines don't match up.

It all comes down to my definition of success. In the last year, I had a revelation. Instead of wasting time, which I have decided feeling like a failure is, I have taken those feelings as an indicator that I'm tired, and need a break. It might not be the status quo and it might just be me justifying inherent laziness, however, I have never been happier or more productive. A lot of that has to do with my amazing wife who is a constant inspiration.

Frankly, I don't know what the future holds and I can't even begin to guess but what I know right here and right now is I'm going to keep following dreams and keep doing things that make me feel like a success. One of the best, is being married and succeeding as a husband, a cat father and a friend. 

When ever I feel down
I just look at where I'm from 
and am proud of where I came from and how far that I have come.

I mean look at this!

Actually, it's this.


To this!


And this!


And all the wonderful people I've met in my twenties!

My proudest discovery of my twenties has been the Buhhdist principle of balance. It fuels my happiness and keeps my "artist angst" in check. I hope that in my thirties I get even better at it!



1 comment:

  1. Great blog posts! Your thirties WILL be even better!

    ReplyDelete