Monday, March 7, 2016

Day 13:

Day 13:

A list of my top five favorite projects in my 20s-

Here's a bit of a preface, if you haven't gathered from reading, or by knowing me, I'm a busy guy. I confessed the other day how much I love being busy, that pared with my inherent verbosity in most written occasions can make for some very long posts. With these lists I'm attempting minimalism; but please don't discount the amount of thought that went into the decisions. I have loved almost everything I have ever done creatively, this was a tough list to make.

5: MAT Cabaret:

There were some great moments and some terrible ones but the Topsy Turvey Cabaret in February of 2009 was something I will always remember. We sang songs and wore clothes for the opposite gender while maintaining all of the traditions we developed. There was something really special about that run. This was also the most hats I've ever worn as a practitioner of theater and I'm still alive!

4: Guys and Dolls II:

I actually performed this show twice in my twenties (the first time will be on a different, much darker list {in fact it might even warrant a post of its own}). The second performance was my first major role in Missoula and it was tough. I stepped out of my comfort zone, out of the music department, our of my Fach, and stepped on some toes along the way. All of those things scared me to death. Turns out I could hit the notes, fit right in in the department, and win people back over, even if I stepped on important appendages. I made some lifelong friends and was recognized for the first time in my twenties, on talent alone. My one regret is that the night a cast member 's family filmed the show (illegally), it was closing night, I had developed a sinus infection. It was so severe that the next day, the infection came out my eyes! So of course that's the video on YouTube...I don't sound too bad, but still (insert awkward pretentious singer babbling here)!

3: Crazy For You:

I don't remember much of this show. The whole thing is a blur. It took place right after my dad passed away. I'm truly grateful for the healing and distraction it allowed and am still amazed I got through it. I am truly proud of the work I did. One thing I do remember, one particular night our elevator with all of our costumes and tap shoes got stuck between floors. Something had, thank God, told me to grab my shoes (something I had never done before) and take them with me. The result, I was one of two people making tap sounds in the show. We got through it! Unfortunately for me, I was so stressed that I did the choreography backwards (I still made every single sound though!) also unfortunately for me, this was the night another cast member's parent filmed. It just seems to be my luck!

2: Urinetown:

This show was very special to me for several reasons but most importantly it came at the perfect time (I had just been fired for a non-legitimate reason from a job that I hated), was a part I never thought I would get to play, and allowed me to use both my performance and design talents. I'm still incredibly proud of this show and what was done in it. It was also the first show I performed with my wife in!

1: The Retail Song Cycle:

This show has been in development since 2009. That same summer as Urinetown, a fire was awoken in me to tell not only my story, but the story of all of us. The effects that place had on my psyche and spirit I still feel to this day. The way I saw humanity treat itself shaped my philosophies, warped my principles, and nearly succeeded in extinguishing hope. Now hopefully, this will be the year the world gets to see it. It might be vain to choose something I'm attempting to promote, but the way this story has unfolded, changed my life and I am overly proud of the work I've done.

Links to most of these things can be found on my website or Soundcloud page if you're curious.

1 comment:

  1. Your number one fan and the co-president of your fan club is so appreciative of sitting in a theater instead of on bleachers. Each show moved me in such an incredible way. Obviously, a performance without you garnered the response, " there was a ship??? or there was a washed up mother??? Absolutely can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete